Till now 14 states have ratified the GST Constitutional Amendment Bill (GST Bill) after it was passed in the Monsoon Session on August 8. Just 2 away from the magic number of 16 required to complete this step of constitution amendment process. Next Step, assent by President of India.
Let’s take a stock of which all states have ratified the GST Bill and where are the remaining states in terms of ratifying the GST Bill. 14 states that have ratified the Bill include
The question is which will be the next two steps to suffice the quorum? Let’s take a look at possible options:
1. Rajasthan: Expected to take up GST in its assembly session beginning Sept 1, 2016
2. Kerala: Has called for a special session to ratify GST Bill
3. Uttarakhand: Has called for a special session to ratify GST Bill
4. Tamil Nadu: No intention to pass GST Bill
5. Karnataka: Soon will take up GST Bill in assembly
6. West Bengal: Deferred the passing of GST Bill
7. Goa: Expected to ratify today
Given the aforementioned scenario, Rajasthan/ Kerala/ Uttarakhand/ Goa look most probable options to help achieve the magic number of 16.